Meijers Communication started in 1993 as The European Science Communication and Information Network (ESCIN) to improve the appreciation and understanding of basic and applied scientific research among Europe’s citizens and opinion-formers. From 1993 on ESCIN brought together the heads of communication from most of Europe’s major research councils, institutes and associations.
In 2009 Meijers Communication continued the work of ESCIN and supports initiatives in the field of science communication aimed at the general public and specific target groups with advice, concept development and supervision of projects. Meijers Communications is committed to a constructive dialogue on science and technology-related issues; a practical approach and editorial independence.
The staff of Meijers Communication consists of Hein and Hans Christiaan Meijers
Hein Meijers studied law at the Erasmus University Rotterdam and made a career as a journalist and science editor. He became
Director of Communication at NWO, The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research in The Hague, where he also started ESCIN, the The European Science Communication and Information Network. In 2009 he started his own agency, Meijers Communication.
Hans Christaan Meijers studied sociology and behavioural sciences at the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences.
He made a career as Management Consultant and advisor and as science editor. He worked for a number of organisations and joined Meijers Communication in 2009 as Communication Manager, editor and advisor.
The European Science Communication Information Network Foundation is located in Rotterdam and is registered at The Hague Chamber of Commerce.
Recent books (all in Dutch) and projects
- Book on the 25th anniversary of the Medical department of Tilburg University (2012
- The balls of the Emperor (2013)
- Book on the history of Meijers family (2014)
- Book on the 200th anniversary of Non Sordent in Undis, the oldest student club at Leiden University (2015)
- The Encyclopaedia of Useless Facts (2016, also reprinted in 2017)
- PA and PR advise for the Platform Wiskunde Nederland (PWN, the national Dutch organization for mathematics
- PA and PR for The Technology Foundation and Technological Board STW
- PA and PR for the University Medical Centers (UMCs) of the Netherlands
- Board Rijksmuseum Boerhaave
Some past projects
- Member of AAAS
- Member of the outreach committee ESOF 2004 in Stockholm
- Member of the Media & Marketing Comity of ESOF 2012 in Dublin
- Jury Academische Jaarprijs (best proposal for a nation-wide science communication project) (2005-2009)
- Columnist of Natuurwetenschap en Techniek (1989/1992)
- Founder and moderator of the Spinoza debates at The Hague, the Paradiso lectures in Amsterdam and Soup lectures for the Dutch Parliament (200/2009)
- Founder and principal editor of the National Science Quiz (together with VPRO -TV and most Dutch independent newspapers (1994 – 2010)
- Founder of Bessensap (the annual state of the art presentation of Dutch science and scientific research)
- Founder of Eureka Price ( best achievements in the area of science communication)
- Board Jos Withagen Foundation (1970/1974)
- Chief Editor of Quod Novum, the independent weekly magazine of Erasmus University Rotterdam ( 1968/1987)
For information: email@example.com